Is there a way to package the WinPCap installation in a C# application?

Jul 8, 2010 at 11:24 AM

Hi,

Is there a way to package the WinPCap installation in a C# application?   That is, if you wanted to minimize the effort for a user to run say a WPF application that used Pcap.Net and WinPCap such that they only had to do the install for the WPF application, is there a way to achieve this?   So I think this boils down to a question of:

a) is it possible to include DLLs only from WinPCap to get things to work? (I'm guessing no)

b) is there a way to include/bundle WinPCap in the WPF C# application installation?

thanks

Coordinator
Jul 9, 2010 at 4:20 PM
Edited Jul 9, 2010 at 4:20 PM
You need to install WinPcap (it includes a driver). The silent installer is only available in WinPcap Pro. http://www.winpcap.org/pipermail/winpcap-users/2010-July/003932.html
Jul 9, 2010 at 9:43 PM

ok - so if one did go for the WinPCap version you could package it's installation into an MSI then I assume - but if you went for the base you'd have to ask you users to install 1st WinPCap and then 2nd your own application 

Coordinator
Jul 10, 2010 at 8:28 AM
I'm sure you can make the installation process first install WinPcap similar to what Wireshark does.