Problem deploying Pcap.Net applications.

Dec 16, 2013 at 5:45 PM
I am having "hello world" problems deploying Pcap.Net applications. As my "hello world" test I rebuilt PcapDotNet.DevelopersPack.0.10.0.67076.x86\PcapDotNet.DevelopersPack\src\PcapDotNet.DevelopersPack.sln using VS2012 on a Win7 32bit machine.

If I copy the bin\Release subdirectories to any development machine (with VS2012 installed), the application runs fine.

But if I copy the same subdirectories to a non-development machine (Win7, 32 bit, without VS2012 installed) the applications fail to run, giving error messages such as

C:\Testing\PcapDotNet.DevelopersPack\src\ObtainingTheDeviceList\bin\Release>ObtainingTheDeviceList.exe

Unhandled Exception: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'PcapDotNet.Core.dll' or one of its dependencies. The specified module could not be found.
at ObtainingTheDeviceList.Program.Main(String[] args)

I have Wireshark 1.10.3, WinPcap 4.1.3, .Net Framework 4.5.1, and the VS2012 redistributables update 4 installed on my test deployment computer.

Running Dependency Walker the copy of PcapDotNet.Core.dll gives the error messages:
Error: At least one required implicit or forwarded dependency was not found.
Warning: At least one delay-load dependency module was not found.
Warning: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing export function in a delay-load dependent module.

It gives "Error opening file" messages regarding the files:
MSVCP100.DLL
MSVCR100.DLL
API-MS-WIN-APPMODEL-RUNTIME-L1-1-0.DLL
API-MS-WIN-CORE-WINRT-ERROR-L1-1-0.DLL
API-MS-WIN-CORE-WINRT-L1-1-0.DLL
API-MS-WIN-CORE-WINRT-ROBUFFER-L1-1-0.DLL
API-MS-WIN-CORE-WINRT-STRING-L1-1-0.DLL
API-MS-WIN-SHCORE-SCALING-L1-1-1.DLL
DCOMP.DLL
IESHIMS.DLL

I have no idea what to do with this information.

Any help would be much appreciated!
Dec 18, 2013 at 4:11 PM
I found MSVCP100.DLL and MSVCR100.DLL in the Wireshark directory. If I copy these files to the bin\Release subdirectories on the target machine, my "Hello world" tests run file. So, problem solved. On my development machine, these files are installed by multiple applications, including MatLab, VBox, HDF, and Visual Studio.
Coordinator
Dec 21, 2013 at 6:46 AM
Hi regnig,

I'm glad you've managed to solve this issue.

Did you follow Running Pcap.Net applications before you got the error?

Boaz.