Can you send a broadcast across subnets?

Dec 8, 2014 at 7:10 PM
I am more of a newbie, so please bear with me if I am missing a main point here.

I have a method where I send out a broadcast packet, and listen in on my network. Basically I'm looking for any devices on the network. I'm following the example given in the user guide:
    ' Open the output device
            Dim Communicator As PacketCommunicator = selectedOutputDevice.Open(65536, PacketDeviceOpenAttributes.None, 500)

Dim filter As BerkeleyPacketFilter = Communicator.CreateFilter("len >= 415 and len <= 417")
            Communicator.SetFilter(filter)

' send broadcast packet
            Communicator.SendPacket(BuildEthernetPacket(ReqInfoPkt, "ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff"))
It works just fine, but I was wondering if I could send this across subnets? So let's say I'm on network 10.10.4.xxx on my PC, and I want to send and receive any packets within any place on any of the 10.10.x.xxx addresses. Is that doable? Thanks!
Coordinator
Dec 12, 2014 at 1:16 PM
Hi sparkysword,

As far as I understand, the Ethernet broadcast packet you send it a broadcast in the Ethernet level, and so won't go to a different Ethernet network.

You will have to send the broadcast packet within the network you want to send it to.

Boaz.